The youth of our church get to put up the flags in the cemetary every year on Memorial Day, and since I'm a youth leader, I got to help. It was a great experience to be a part of! We arrived at the cemetary at 5am, they split us into two groups and off we went!
We unwrapped the bundles...
Each flag had a name tag on it, and we had a list of veteran's names in alphabetical order. As a leader read off the names, we placed the corresponding flag in its appropriate slot.
It took us 2 1/2 hours to get the whole cemetary finished, but it didn't seem like it took that long. It was so inspiring to see all those flags flying in honor of our veterans! Here are some shots I got of the cemetary.
Each flag had a name tag on it, and we had a list of veteran's names in alphabetical order. As a leader read off the names, we placed the corresponding flag in its appropriate slot.
It took us 2 1/2 hours to get the whole cemetary finished, but it didn't seem like it took that long. It was so inspiring to see all those flags flying in honor of our veterans! Here are some shots I got of the cemetary.
Later that day, Richard and I drove up to Yakima to find my great-grandparent's graves. A couple of headstones separated them from each other, but I am glad they were close enough together that we could find them easily.
I feel so grateful to my ancestors, and to those who have served this country. Thank you, thank you, for all you've done for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment