One more milestone has been achieved in the life of Caleb this past week...he finally popped his first tooth through! Two teeth buds have been crawling veeeeerrrrrryyy sloooowwwwly up his bottom gum for the past 3 and a half months, which to his very impatient mother seemed like it was taking more than forever long! :) Especially when you can see them right underneath the surface but they stay right there for about two weeks. Torture! (I'm sure for him as well as me, but obviously for different reasons.) He ate like a horse for a couple of days after it came through, but is back to being a very finicky eater as I'm now sure the other tooth is giving him pain. Poor guy. If anyone has any ideas to help a sensitive teether eat, I would be more than happy to hear them! I don't think Richard and I realized teething was affecting Caleb so much, but after seeing him eat well, and then go back to his "normal" eating habits, I'm pretty sure the teething is what's making him a slow weight gainer. In all other aspects, though, he is doing fine! He's cruising along our couches, investigating everything of interest, trying to stand on his own, and making his parents laugh everyday.
Hurray! Did he respond well at all to Tylenol and Orajel? No kidding, that's been our only survival mechanism, and if he's not eating well with bottom teeth, top teeth are going to be killer. Good luck, and HURRAY for teeth popping through!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I am loving the one sock look. What a cutie!
I've heard that Orajel only lasts for like 30 seconds, so we haven't tried that. Maybe we should. We have given him children's Ibuprofen when it seems like he's in real pain, but that isn't often since he's happy most of the time, he just refuses to eat very much.
ReplyDeleteCaleb is sure a cutie! My boys were miserable teethers. I don't remember it affecting their eating so much as it just made them fussy and irritable. Baby Tylenol was pretty much my answer to everthing. They hated the Orajel. I tried other teethers and sometimes the frozen kind would help for a while, but never for long.
ReplyDeleteIf slow weight gain is your biggest concern, I wouldn't worry too much. Sam gained weight so slowly his first year that the Dr. sent him to the Children's hospital to consult with a nutritionist and run a gazillion tests. They finally concluded that there was nothing wrong with him, he was just following his own growth curve. His rate of weight gain picked up after he weaned (at about 14 months). He is a totally normal sized 3 year old, now.
Thanks for the Christmas letter. I have added you to my blog favorites list. You can check us out at jolleyjournal.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete